Teaching Tools for Young Children with Challenging Behavior
What are the Teaching Tools?
Creating Teaching Tools for Young Children with Challenging Behavior is a FREE product developed by the Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention for Young Children (TACSEI) that gives teachers practical strategies, developed from TACSEI’s research activities and experiences in Positive Behavior Support, to create a plan to support young children who are having challenging behavior. There are two versions of the
The Teaching Tools provide:
- easily accessible ideas and materials such as handouts, worksheets, techniques, strategies, and visuals to support children in the classroom and other learning environments
- ideas of effective intervention approaches for children who do not need a functional assessment to determine the function of the child’s problem behavior or a team-based process to address persistent challenging behavior.
These materials were designed for reproduction and may be reproduced for educational purposes.
How are the Teaching Tools Organized?
The Teaching Tools are organized around the User's Manual which explains how to use the tools and provides all of the technical information you need to access the hyperlinked visual supports and materials. Also included within the Teaching Tools is the Routine Based Support Guide. The Guide is a document that accompanies all of the tools and is organized in routines and activities that typically occur in early childhood programs. It assists teachers in developing a support plan.
How Can I Get the Teaching Tools?
The Teaching Tools were originally created to be distributed on a CD. However we have made the contents of the CD available through two options, which you can choose from below.
- Zip File Option: A"zip" file, which means that you can download the User's Manual, Routine Based Support Guide and all the accompanying handouts, visuals and other materials that are organized in a series of nine folders in one convenient package.
- Table of Contents Option: Individual documents organized by the Table of Contents that you can browse and download as you choose.
Now Available-UPDATED Teaching Tools Includes Strategies for Toddlers!
TTYC now includes strategies for Toddlers! The teaching tools routine-based guide includes prevention, intervention, and response strategies that might be used to support toddlers with challenging behavior. In addition, there is an expanded manual that includes using TTYC with toddlers, a decision tree, forms for teaming, tips for consultation to the classroom, and guidance on assessing implementation and outcomes. The development of these strategies was supported by The Center for Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation, grant number 90YD0268, funded by the Office of Head Start, Administration for Children, Youth and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Zip File Option for Updated TTYC: A"zip" file, which means that you can download the User's Manual, Routine Based Support Guide and all the accompanying handouts, visuals and other materials that are organized in a series of nine folders in one convenient package.
- Table of Contents Option for Updated TTYC: Individual documents organized by the Table of Contents that you can browse and download as you choose.
Teaching Tools Flyer
Please spread the word about the Teaching Tools by printing out and sharing this informational flyer with your colleagues.
(NOTE: You may need to download the latest version of Adobe Reader for the documents.)
Recommended Citation for the Teaching Tools
Lentini, R., Vaughn, B. J., & Fox, L. (2008). Creating Teaching Tools for Young Children with Challenging Behavior [CD-ROM]. (Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention, University of South Florida, 13301 Bruce B. Downs Tampa, FL 33612)